Q. Can we change an existing Home Care Package provider if we are unhappy with their services?

A. Before making a change you should check your HCP agreement to check if there are any special conditions such as notice periods and exit amounts.

You can search for alternative providers by using the My Aged Care website service finder or speak with My Aged Care on 1800 200 422 for assistance.

Compare the services and fees provided with those of your current provider including administration and case management.

Your current service provider are obliged to assist you to change providers and you must mutually agree to a date you want your care and services to end.

When you have agreed an end date with your current provider, contact My Aged Care and re-activate your referral code. You have 56 days from the end date to enter into a Home Care Agreement with a new provider. If you do not enter into a Home Care Agreement by this time, your home care package will be withdrawn and you will not be able to use your referral code.